Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Some Photos to Share

This school year I was moved into a new classroom. When I entered the room during the summer, I was overwhelmed with how empty and bare everything was. I knew I immediately needed to add some color and thought having my students make some permanent artwork would be the perfect opportunity.

These were paintings done by my 5th grade class. The students were broken up into groups of 7 or 8 and recreated a famous work using a grid method. We practiced the whole grid technique prior to their final painting. Check out the results which now hang in my room!





And just one more random photo: A student of mine made this out of a toothpick... I just thought it was kind of humorous :-).

4 comments:

  1. So Cool! I love them. We reconstructed (using the grid method) a famous pic of Martin Luther King last year for a backdrop it was very powerful. It's also fun to do this when there is not a ton of storage room for big pieces! Love the colors and slightly disjointed look of the grid. Very cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tons of years ago (probably 25!) when I was a junior high art teacher, I used to have my 7th graders do a grid thing every year. I cut up an art print and handed out numbered sections to enlarge and they didn't know what the picture was until it was assembled. One year we actually did the same Andy Warhol pic of Marilyn Monroe - it was huge. But here's the funny part: when it was complete the kids were puzzled - they had NO IDEA who she was! It was so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this idea. I am in my 3rd year of teaching art, and just before I came, my room was a woodshop. I have HUGE white walls, about 18-20 feet tall! My room is so bare and bright. But maybe with this idea, I can have the custodians hang our work high on the walls, and we can create a museum! Thanks for sharing - what are these painted on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My students actually just used regular drawing paper, 70 lb? and then I bought the largest cardboard box I could find at Office Depot and cut it open so it laid as one large piece to glue the squares on.

    ReplyDelete